Tuesday, 6 March 2018

A Twofer Love

Darnell over at djkardkreations has started a new challenge this year. It is called the Twofer Challenge and runs monthly. The Feb theme was Love and themes are usually announced on the 10th of each month. You must make two cards with the same stamp or die, and they must be for two different occasions.

Sadly, I forgot there was a time change between Darnell and I, and so I waited too long to post these (at ten pm my time) on the 24th. The contest was closed and as I had my Rudolph Days Post due in another two hours, I decided to save these and post them later.

My first card is a Valentines card, and I used the Stampendous Love Letters stamp, in a Lawn Fawn stitched rectangle. The red background mat is just hand cut to match. The Love Sentiment is a dollar store stamp, brand unknown, stamped onto a wee snippet of the same white card stock.  The background paper is by Creative Imaginations, and is part of their Neutrals line.

As this is a Valentine for my DH next year, I kept the design paper on this card quite plain and masculine looking.

My second card is an Anniversary card for DH.  I restamped the Love Letters stamp coloured the hearts in red, and then fussy cut them out. I stamped a Crafts Smart Dove stamp on a snippet of white and used a circular Marianne die for the image and their doily die, for the pink mat (snippets again).

The dove was stamped twice and then I fussy cut the second image. Popped it on top of the first one and gave it a coat of Nuvo aqua glimmer.

The first wee heart was glued to the end of a branch that was part of the dove image. The rest were used to look like the dove was scattering the hearts, as spouses do as they live their lives together. We scatter love through our own lives and our children's as well. These scattered seeds of love help us grow together.

After viewing the photo in this post, I wish I had coloured another set of the hearts in the lighter pink of my background papers. They could be gued just slightly off of the red hearts... just enough to leave the red peeking through one side of them.  I think that would have tied the background papers in more. Perhaps I shall do that still!

The background papers are snippets from my 12x12 scrapbook pages. I added a piece of dollar store blue glimmery Washi tape to hide the seam. Love that Washi...although it is looks like glitter paper, it is only a thin glimmery tape and so it fairly slim in depth.

The sentiment is Stampin' Up. The larger love script stamp is from 2004 and the smaller always script stamp is from 2005. Too bad I seem to have stamped the always script just a bit crooked. This card is for DH as our Anniversary is in April. Hopefully, he will not notice!

All in all, there was a good attempt at the use of snippets. All the white, red, and pink card were snippets. For regular card stock, I save anything credit card sized or larger. The cloud and striped paper used on the second card were also from my snippets box. It is a great feeling to use up some of this never ending stack of pretty snippets!!!

The other benefit of both cards today is that they are very slim in depth. They will sail through that tester slot at the Post Office and just take regular postage  Yay!

I am entering this card in the following challenges:

1. Pixies Crafty Workshop - must use snippets

Sunday, 4 March 2018

Christmas Card Club - Robin

This fortnight, Mrs A at Valery Anne Designs   chose a Robin or Robins as our card theme.

I do have some bird stamps but since they are not actually robins, I chose to make a Hunky Dory Decoupage kit called Robin Redbreast. This kit really appealed to me as my Dad had a farm and raised horses. His boots were always sitting just outside the door, if he came in for tea...which was several times a day as he loved his tea! It was made even better, if it was served with thick toast and lashings of jam.

So a pretty robin it is...perched on what looks just like Dad's boots.

There are 6 layers of decoupage to create the scene and I used a brand new set of really slim pop dot to help reduce the depth. I am going to be purchasing more of those as I loved how thin they were. I threw the packaging away to help them fit in my pop dot drawer, but will tell you the name after I purchase a new set. When I next use them, of course!

I trimmed the kit card base down into a square. I added a piece of DP on the inside, to stamp the sentiment on. In my experience, the Hunky Dory card base has too much sheen for the ink to dry quickly. Translate that into, I have learned the hard way that any ink stamped upon it smears easily if brushed against. It takes quite some time for the ink to dry.  As you have probably guessed, under my DP liner, there is a smudged sentiment!

The back of this card base has a very pretty repeat of the scene build into the card.

This was a quick and fun card to make. Sometimes, that is just what one needs!

If you are interested in joining our Christmas Card Club, drop me an email. The hyperlinks to the other members cards can be found on my right sideboard. You will not regret popping by their blogs to take a peek.

Thursday, 1 March 2018

February Rudolph Days Challenge Winner

We had 59 entries! Not bad, considering February only had 4 days between the 25th and the end of the month, for you to enter your cards.

The design team all submitted a deer card and in my case, two of them. It was cool to discover that many of you made deer cards, as well. Perhaps we will start a trend!

Once again, I have used Random Org to choose the winner. Here is the photo of the winning number #15, Verna Angerhofer

Verna, would you please drop me an email to maureenkane@telus.net and let me know your mailing address, and which prize you would like.